Auto-renewals are available on Date Of Purchase membership packages. You can set up auto-payments for Fixed Date membership packages by following the steps within the Membership Auto-Payment guide.
When enabled, eligible members who haven't opted out will be automatically renewed and have a Direct Debit payment processed on their renewal date.
In order to be eligible, the following criteria must be met:
- The member must have a valid Direct Debit mandate with the provider
- The member must not have opted out of being included in auto-payments
- The member must have an email address
- The member must be in the active status
- The member must have at least 30 days left on their membership when the feature is enabled
- The Direct Debit payment method (in full or instalments) the member originally paid with is still an option on the package
- The package must not be continuous and must have a minimum term length of 2 months
If you are interested in setting up auto-renewals within your Date of Purchase membership packages, please ensure that you have created a GoCardless account and have Direct Debit as a payment option within the membership package.
Create a new, or edit an existing date-of-purchase membership package.
2. Ensure you have a minimum term length of 2 months, and the package is not set to continuous.
Select the 'auto-payment' tick box. This will turn on auto-renewals for all members that are on that particular membership package.
If editing an existing package your eligible members will be notified by email that auto-renewals have been enabled on the package.
With auto-renewals enabled eligible members will receive a notification email 30 days prior to their membership expiring to inform them the auto-payment and renewal will be processed on their expiry date (30 days time) and giving them an option to cancel it via the email.
A reminder email will also be sent 7 days before expiry if they have not already cancelled the auto-renewal.
Cancelling An Auto-Renewal
Members can opt-out of an auto-renewal up to 30 days before the expiry of their current membership, at which point the auto-payment is triggered, via the renewal reminder email that has been sent to them.
You can also cancel an auto-renewal from within the membership record of the individual at any time by following the steps below.
Head to the membership record of the member that wishes to opt-out of the automated renewal.
Click on the blue 'Cancel' (if they are within their renewal time frame) or un-ticking the 'Opted In' box.
Upon opting-out or cancelling the membership will continue until their expiry date, at which point it will be possible to renew manually.
It is possible to opt back into auto-renewal before the membership expires by re-ticking the 'Opt-In' box
Who's Included In Auto-Renewals?
The 'auto-pay' column in the membership table displays who is eligible for an auto-renewal and the date they will be auto-renewed.